1. Looking to get in shape for the summer? I stumbled across this site while researching Votee Park in Teaneck (they meet there as well as in Parsippany), it's an adventure boot camp for women! If you need a little more motivation than most and love a challenge then check it out. They start this week, meeting 3x per week (MWF) for 12 weeks. $199/month for 3 months. 30 day money back guarantee. And, they meet at 5:30 am so you can get exercise in before the hubby and kids are up. Might not be good if you're not a morning person, though! Link here.
2. Looking for crafts to do with your child for Easter? Check out Martha Stewart's suggestions here. Last year we used those Paas dye kits and I wasn't too thrilled with it. The color came out very light. This year, I think I will try something different. If you have a fun Easter craft then please post it below! As for baskets, I found a really cute felt one at Target for around $2.
3. Prickly Pear. We tried out this restaurant/takeout spot in Fort Lee (right across from Borders bookstore) on Saturday. It's a new spot but if you've ever eaten at Chipotle then you know the concept. It's almost identical. The burrito bowl is a nice fresh way to have a salad, Mexican style! My kids loved the quesadilla. I think I prefer Chipotle but if I don't want to trek out to Rt. 4, it's good to have a Mexican food option nearby!
4. If you're looking for an inexpensive preschool there is one starting up again at the Leonia rec center. If you're not a Leonia resident you can sign up on Apr. 15th. A 9 week session (M to Th; 4 days a week) starts on April 19th. Morning session is 9:30am to 12pm and is $700 +$25 out of town fee. Afternoon is 12:30pm to 2:30pm for $560 +$25 fee. Ages 2 1/2 to 5yrs old. Only catch–kid has to be potty trained. If not for this (my son is not) I would've signed up. It's a cute room and nice, small group of kids. It also works out to around $20/day–so very economical!
5. This week the Montessori Plus Early Learning Centers are having open houses at their Englewood (Tues), Leonia (Wed.), and Teaneck (Thurs.) locations. They run from 9:30am to 11am. I've been looking at schools again (this is the time of year for it!) and checked out A to Z Development Center in Ridgefield Park, The Montessori House School in Tenafly, and Kid's Clubhouse in Midland Park. I'm hoping to add them to another post on local preschool reviews. In the meantime if you have questions on any of these please feel free to email me.
6. It's springtime and that means pests will soon be back! I've had numerous ant issues in the past (now I know not to live in heavily wooded areas!). So, I've had to research exterminators. The big name ones like Orkin tend to lock you into a three visit contract that can be pricey. I've used this guy, Mark Stepanian of Step Exterminators (201-406-7327) for two years in a row and I'm very happy with the results. Last year we didn't see ANY bugs for a whole year (he says the spray doesn't last that long) and our ant problem was solved. I wouldn't waste your money on those ant traps or gels/sprays. Just go straight to the exterminator for help because you need to kill the queen.
7. Ben & Jerry's free cone day is tomorrow! Tuesday from 12pm to 8pm. Hopefully, the weather will be nice!
9. Today only on Groupon.com there's a NY Waterway coupon for 42% off one of three waterway tours. It's $15 per ticket when normally it is $26. A great way to spend an afternoon with the kids. I've done the twilight tour and it's nice as well–very romantic!
10. NJ Monthly just published their Best of NJ 2010 Reader Results! In food and drink category Calandra's Bakery, Petite Cafe (cupcakes) in Nutley, Eden Marketplace in South Orange, Toast for pancakes in Montclair are top places I'd like to check out. In the recreation category the Henry Hudson Biking Trail (Monmouth county), Camden Aquarium, Cranford Canoe Club (kayaking too!), and South Mountain Reservation hiking trail (never did this even though I lived in West Orange once!).
Idea in the Works
1. I've been thinking a lot these days about transportation. Specifically, drop off and pick up for daycare/schools. This seems to be the most stressful part of a mom's day, especially when you add in after school/enrichment activities. I feel like my goal in life is to spend as little time in the car as possible! haha. One idea I had was having a carpool board where moms can go to hook up with other moms to create carpools. I'm sure there are insurance implications as well as the "trust" factor. So, let me know your thoughts–is this something you would consider?