Call me crazy but soup makes me happy, especially in the winter. Soup is a staple in our home and we’ve found a way to make it kid-friendly by spooning out the hearty ingredients and letting our son go to town. Plus, I prep the meatballs and chopping the night before (when the munckin is in bed) so the next day I just dump everything into the pot. I hope you enjoy my healthy winter soup. I bet your kids will like it too!
1 lb. ground turkey or chicken
1/2 c. seasoned bread crumbs (I use whole wheat)
2 scallions, chopped
2 tbsp. grated parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp. thyme
2 tbsp. canola oil
2-3 large carrots, chopped
3 medium parsnip, chopped
4 scallions, chopped
2 (32 fl. oz.) boxes chicken broth
1 tsp. thyme
1 head escarole, chopped
1 c. couscous (I use Israeli/Pearl)
2 tbsp. parmesean cheese
1. Make meatballs (I make them the night before and keep them covered in fridge.)
2. Heat oil over medium heat
3. Add carrots, scallions & parsnips – cook until soft – 5 min.
4. Add broth, thyme & 2 c. water – increase heat to high – then bring to simmer
5. Add meatballs – reduce heat to medium – cook 4 min.
6. Add escarole & couscous
7. Cook 8 minutes more – Stir in parmesean, salt & pepper to taste
Try our other recipes:
Fantastic fall drink (pumpkin spice white hot chocolate)